In this post, we will look at how to connect a Dell Monitor to a Laptop. If you are reading this then it means you want a way to connect your Laptop to a Dell monitor.
Please note that this post contains an affiliate link. The team at Techlocust will earn a commission from purchases made using our links. However, this does not affect your price in any way.
Connecting your laptop to a monitor is one way you can use your laptop as a desktop without the need to buy a desktop if you are on a tight budget and do not need to move files and documents.
In this time of working from home and freelancing, it will be much productive to get a second screen to work efficiently.
There are many ways you can connect your laptop to your Dell monitor. This mainly depends on the kind of display port of your laptop. Most latest laptops come with USB Type-C and HDMI port, we also have VGA ports in most of the old laptops. No matter what laptop you are using, we are here to assist you.
How to Connect your laptop to a Dell Monitor Using HDMI
You can connect your laptop which has an HDMI port to a Dell monitor by following the steps given below.
Note that you will need an HDMI cable in order to connect your devices.
- Locate the HDMI port of your laptop. Usually located at the side of the laptop.
- Look for the HDMI port of the monitor and connect the other end of the HDMI cable.
- After that, you have successfully connected your laptop to your Dell monitor. You can change the display options of your laptop to choose between the options; PC Only, Duplicate, Extend and Second Screen Only. We will explain further at the end of the page.
How to Connect your laptop to a Dell Monitor USB Type-C
Most latest laptops due to their portability, they are very small and thin to contain an HDMI ports. In this case, you can connect your laptop to your dell monitor and any other monitor by using a ports converter, specifically USB Type-C to HDMI adapter or USB Type-C to VGA adapter.
With this Adapter or converter, you can connect your laptop to your Dell monitor which has either HDMI or VGA. Depending on the kind of cable and port available for your Dell monitor, you need to buy the right adapter, this is either USB Type-C to HDMI or USB Type-C to VGA.
How to Connect your laptop to a Dell Monitor Using VGA
Most of the old laptops do come with many ports including the VGA port, if your laptop happens to have a VGA port then you can follow these steps to connect it to your Dell monitor.
You can connect your laptop which has a VGA port to a Dell monitor by following the steps given below.
Note that you will need a VGA cable in order to connect your devices.
- Locate the VGA port of your laptop. Usually located at the side of the laptop.
- Look for the VGA port of the monitor and connect the other end of the VGA cable.
- After that, you successfully connected your laptop to your Dell monitor. You can change the display options of your laptop to choose between options; PC Only, Duplicate, Extend, and Second Screen Only. We will explain further at the end of the page.
Windows Display Options Explained
- PC Only: This option will let your display be on only your laptop. Meaning nothing will display on the monitor if you connect your laptop to the monitor with this option selected.
- Duplicate: This option will enable one to duplicate his screen, meaning what will be displayed on screen one will be displayed on screen two. This will be exactly the same.
- Extend: This is the most useful option but also frustrating when you are new to it. This option will extend your screen which will allow you to do two different things on each screen.
- Second Screen Only: This also turns on your laptop’s screen and uses the monitor’s screen only.
This has been given in order to be aware of what to do if your screen displays on only the first screen, only the second screen, etc.
- How to Cast Oculus Quest 2 to Roku TV without Chromecast & with Chromecast
- How to cancel Optus plan in Australia
- Fix YouTube Recommendations Broken – Get Interested Videos
- How to Extend Ring Time on Optus Australia
- How to buy SafeMoon in Australia
- FIXED importerror: cannot import name ‘json’ from ‘itsdangerous’
- How to watch Optus sport on TV
- How to Recharge on Optus Australia – Prepaid Mobile Phone
- How To Login Into Your Spectrum Account
- How to Convert an Indian Motorcycle License to Australian